Friday, July 10, 2009

Franz Liszt

Lesson of the Day: Classical music + no air conditioning = nap time

Today we went to the Franz Liszt Museum. Before they took us on a tour of the museum we went upstairs to a lecture room so we could hear a brief history of Liszt, a Hungarian pianist and composer born in 1811, and listen to some of his music. The lady who gave us the lecture was deeply passionate about the topic and has devoted the majority of her life to her research. No matter how hard I tried I couldn’t keep my eyes open. On our table was a stack of twelve CDs all with excerpts of music she wanted us to hear. Every time a piece was played I closed my eyes and attempted to look like I was completely absorbed in the music, in reality I was scared that I might not wake up when the music turned off. The closed, stuffy, non-airconditioned room, combined with church music nearly rocked the entire group of us to sleep. What seemed to be ten hours later we were able to get up and walk around Liszts old house. I was just glad to stand up.

No comments:

Post a Comment