Monday, June 8, 2009

Scones

Lesson of the Day: Scots aren't known for their baked goods.

Saturday I attended the 20th annual Scottish Festival held at UTA. Why you may ask? Good question. My family has always been interested in our heritage and learning about our ancestors. It honestly never seemed weird to me that my dad and grandpa got dressed up every year in authentic Armstrong kilts complete with “sporran”. Some of my favorite memories of my grandpa come from that weekend every year.

With my family spread out across the country, I was lucky enough to drag one of my friends along with me this year. Despite efforts, we still stuck out like sore thumbs. We couldn’t help but laugh at some of the characters that were walking around the stadium. Mohawks, piercings, drunken men on scooters, pirates (?), spontaneous bag piping, women in gypsie-inspired belly tops… it was all “normal” there.

We came across a tent that was filled with what appeared to be delicious baked goods. At first it surprised.me. There is no denying that in a country where “haggis” is considered a tasty meal, food isn’t their specialty. Regardless after great consideration, we bought a bag of scones. We continued to walk around and arrived at the “highland games”. As we sat down to watch overweight bald men throw heavy rocks we figured it was time to try one of the scones. We couldn’t help but laugh as the scone completely dried out our mouths leaving it nearly impossible to swallow. We had such high expectations, and honestly…they were crap.

Long story short; believe what you hear…Scotland is not known for their cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment